Enter Stage Write
JUTE's annual writer and script development program
ENTER STAGE WRITE Script Development Program
A program for Regional Writers.
Enter Stage Write is JUTE Theatre Company’s multi-award winning script development program. Enter Stage Write has been developing regional playwrights skills, and producing their new works since 2001. The program has been successful in supporting writers who would otherwise not have access to these resources. The program is also driven by a commitment to develop quality new work to be produced by JUTE Theatre Company and its co-producers throughout Australia’s regions.
The program is for those wishing to pursue a professional career in performance writing. The New &/or Emerging Stream of the program supports writers new to the performance writing form. NB: If you are a writer and do not fit into this category, please contact us to see if you may be suitable for one of our other programs.
ENTER STAGE WRITE 2013 AGENDA
16-17 Feb: Orientation Weekend (compulsory)
23-26 March: Residency #1 (compulsory)
3-4 May: Phone Session (optional, fees apply)
15-18 June: Residency #2 (compulsory)
20-21 Sept: Phone Session (compulsory)
18-20 Oct: Conference / Play Readings Festival (compulsory, fees apply)
22-25 Nov: Residency #3 (compulsory)
A two day orientation weekend for participants held at the Centre of
Contemporary Arts, Cairns. All successful applicants are required to
attend. The orientation weekend includes experienced writers passing on
their writing tips, observing the rehearsal process, About the theatre
sector, About JUTE. Plus two x 2hr workshops with the Dramaturg.
Each Residency Includes
1 x 2 hour group workshop (compulsory)
1 x 1 hour one on one dramaturgical session
Deadlines for new drafts of work follow each of the residencies
Please note: participants will only attend approx. 3hrs of a 4 day
residency each i.e. 2hr group workshop & 1hr individual session with the Dramaturg.
Phone sessions with the Dramaturg have been identified as an important component of the program to keep the development of the work moving. You have the options for two phone sessions, one at your own cost and one as part of the program.
DRAMATURG FOR HIRE
Writers who are not accepted into the
program will have access to Dramaturges on a fee for service basis.
Sessions are $100/1 hour session.
Enter Stage Write is a golden opportunity for anyone who has ever dreamt
of telling their story through theatre. Since 2001, the program has
supported regional writers who would not otherwise have access to script
development resources, resulting in over 60 new plays being produced
for the JUTE stage.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINES
- November 2013: Applications open
- December 2013: Applications close
- January 2014: Successful applicants notified
- Read through the guidelines to ensure you meet all the program criteria
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a typed sample of your writing, up to 5 pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must be a writer living in a regional or geographically isolated area
- In 2014 there will be one position for a young writer aged 15 – 18
- All other participants must be 18+
- You must have an intention to write professionally for stage
- If developing a new work, your script is to have a maximum of 3 actors
- If working on an existing play, there are no actor limitations
- You must be available for the program orientation weekend & for the 3 residencies and the JUTE Conference.
- You must meet all deadlines and attend the Dramaturgy workshops (if
you are not available for any dates in the program you will not be
eligible to apply)
- Administration costs charge of $300 + GST payable to JUTE Theatre Company if selected for the program. Costs are subject to change.